Saturday, May 7, 2011

Why handmade jewelry?

There is something about creating accessories on your own.  It gives you a sense of satisfaction after completing let's say a pair of earrings.  Every time I create a handmade jewelry, be it a pair of earrings or a charm bracelet, I cannot help but wonder as to how much effort I have put into every single component, from the design process down to the attachment of the final component.  

During the times that my hands are busy creating I barely notice the passing of time.  The more I make these handmade creations of mine, the more I become interested to see what I could come up with.

How did it all began? As far I can remember, I have always had reservations about me being able to create something with my bare hands.  Sure I love to paint, draw, heck back in high school I was so fascinated by the wonderful world of creating props, lighting and anything that led to production work for a school play or event.  I thought it was suitable for my big hands.  I dared not tread on the world of the miniatures or those who loved making dioramas and the like.  I felt I was like Gulliver and I would surely break components long before I could start anything out of it.  

But fate has a way of making its presence felt and she pushed and nudged and practically threw me into the world of handmade jewelry with my arms all akimbo. My first stretchable bracelet sent beads flying in all directions.  My first knot, the stretchable nylon snapped!  So, I tried again.  Needless to say my second try was not bad at all!  Needless to say, patience played a major role in my foray into the DIY route.  Plus, my first creation has greatly piqued my interest and I would scour the pages of every book and magazine that I could find.  I bought materials left and right, learned everything from scratch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment