Saturday, May 7, 2011

How Did My Business Start?

Long before I started into handmade accessories I got to work for companies that was into clothes, shoes, etc.  The hours were crazy but like one businesswoman said learn from your experience.  I took note of the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Vowed to myself never to make those same pitfalls that others did.  I lost track of the many notebooks I wrote on.  Yes, in this day and age I still relied on my good old pen and paper.   
Turquoise Headband and bracelet se

The idea of starting my own business was always at the back of my head.  I bought business books and read almost every night.  I took notes of what business authors talked about.  I was particular about the amount of money that entailed the process of starting my business. I wanted to minimize my cost as much possible.  Thanks to the e-commerce boom my business took flight.  But that's getting ahead of the story.


I learned about e-commerce through a former officemate who was a big fan of ebay.  I on the other hand, got immersed into the virtual world of online selling because I was, yes "forcibly" made to learn the online trading business.  I was terrified of all the icons and feared that one button could ruin the templates or listings or other scenarios that constantly plagued my mind.  But since it was a job that I had to do I find myself learning all about ebay.  I learned how the Americans were all into ebay and what further revved up the motors of my brain was when I sold items online.  These were not by the dollar, the furnitures were being sold for thousands of dollars.  From ebay.com to ebay.ph and ebay.ca I cruised the virtual world and made a business out of it and I continue to be a believer in it. 

On my own site, I sold my first pair of handmade bracelets.  I remember my husband telling me are you sure??? If you can sell your handmade bracelet then I am hooked.  I will support you.  With those words ringing in my ears I sold my first lapis lazuli bracelet with swarovski spacers and earrings to match for Php 350.  My capital?  Less than a hundred!  I was shocked and in awe of the wonderful world wide web!  Most of all of the fact that these big old hands have what it takes to create handmade accessories!  Then I realized that there is a wide market out there for accessories.  The capital is not that big, but the rewards are certainly something to smile about and put a sparkle in one's eyes!!


Honestly, putting up your own business is by no means an easy task.  You must be VERY prepared for the uphill climb.  You must be prepared for the long hours.  More importantly you must be more than capable of multi tasking and you must be one hell of an organized person since you will be hearing more hats than you can imagine!  On top of that you must have GALLONS of patience. Best of all NEVER, EVER, rest on your laurels. Always find ways to grow without losing your focus.  Never lose touch of your purpose why you started your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment