Saturday, May 7, 2011

Livelihood Beading Training - PWD (Las Pinas)

I got to know Anafe Maravillas of PWD - Las Pinas one fine day.  She was inquiring about our workshops and mentioned how they would love to have us teach their members to create beaded accessories.  I looked at their site and immediately set to work to help get the project started.  Fortunately two of our regular clients had big generous hearts and offered to shoulder all the expenses for the workshop.  (beading kits, food, drinks, materials, tutorials)  There were two batches and when I told Anafe, she was so happy!  She wondered how it came to be done in such a quick and timely manner.  All I said was you know Anafe, when we pray with our hearts and it is for the most noble of intentions, God listens and He helps us faster than we can blink our eyes! 

PWD is the acronym for Persons with Disability.  We call them differently abled.  I will always hold the workshops with the PWD group the closest to my heart.  Because I saw in them the resilience like no other.  Members are from all walks of life.  Some with their parents, wives or husbands who are also their guides. 


In spite of what they are going through I saw in them such optimism and joy.  I am immensely proud of the handmade treasures that they have given me. Brother Jun who creates beautiful works of art with recycled paper gave me two handmade ornaments that can double as a container for my stuff.  Mercy, Anafe's sister gave me a very beautiful rosary bracelet that she made.  Over time, Mercy would go to my house every now and then to chat and browse through my stuff and shop there.  This was our little get together time!

I also value tremendously the time my very dear friend Estee, shared with me and the PWD members.  She was our designated photographer and all throughout the event she was supportive as ever.  Estee has such a brilliant mind and its always a joy to talk to her!  I love having her around and treasure our bonding / talkathon get togethers...

No comments:

Post a Comment